Thursday, May 26, 2011

All I Want Is A New Phone

So I have a pretty good deal with my wireless carrier with a plan with all the bells and whitstles...didn't have to pay anything for my phone up front...tons of extras...but that was negotiated almost 3 years ago and quite literally I have been paying for it ever since.

You see about a year and a half ago, I started having problems with my smartphone...the battery wasn't holding a charge...the screen developed these weird black lines across it, etc.  As well, the technology had sped up so much from the time I got my phone, what I had was almost obsolete.  But I did sign a 3 year contract.

In getting such a good deal up front, I was persistent with my carrier and leveraged my loyalty to this brand and the number of separate cell phone accounts I have with them.  For a long time, that worked in my favour and even allowed me to upgrade and get out of longer term contracts early without penalty!

So this time around, when I tried my best to get a new smartphone and keep my existing plan, I had no luck!  And I have been fighting this battle with my carrier ever since.  In the interim, I still have the same phone...got a new battery cheap and it cost barely nothing to fix the screen.  However, now it is principal and an example of what some of these big phone carriers try to do to their customers.

I've been in constant contact with the carrier now for the last year and a half and am slowly beginning to break them down.  At the same time, my contract is almost up giving me more leverage come the summer when I am free to go to any of the other carriers out there!

I could write a book about this situation...but to sum things up...even once my contract ends, it will cost me a lot more monthly to have a cell phone...which should not be the case.  So I continue my battles and will bring you all up to date as we get closer to contract expiry date!

No comments:

Post a Comment

DJ Joe D Headline Animator

Ping service