Sunday, May 15, 2011

DJ Joe D Meets One of His Childhood Heroes

Almost every Canadian around on September 28, 1972, regardless of their age at the time, remembers where they were the moment Paul Henderson scored "the goal" with 34 seconds left to pull out a victory for Team Canada against the Soviets in the famous Summit Series.

Obviously most were watching the game unfold anywhere they could find a television set...including my elementary school self who was watching the game with the rest of the students at my school.

There is a famous picture of Henderson celebrating the goal literally seconds after he scored it.  I recently found my copy of that picture that I had proudly taped on my bedroom door for many years and has actually survived the last 39 years or so...although not in pristine condition!

I mention this because earlier today I took the picture with me when I went to meet Paul Henderson as part of the Henderson Jersey Homecoming Tour.  It is a travelling display which prominently features Henderson's hockey jersey that he wore when he scored the goal.  After the game, he gave the jersey to a Team Canada trainer...and last year it was sold on auction for $1.3 million ($CAD)!

So now the jersey, with Henderson goes on tour across Canada.  So I went with my son to see the jersey, the exhibit and Paul.  He signed my picture...I got a chance to talk him briefly, my son and I looked at the full exhibit including the jersey, signed the guestbook and of course, we got to pose for a photo with him:


In speaking with him, I asked him what was the most unique question he has been asked ever since he scored the goal...and he has literally been asked tons of questions. 

He replied that someone asked what would have happened if the score of that famous Game 8 remained tied...who would have won the tournament?  According to international rules at the time...the tourny winner would have most likely been decided on total goals, which the Soviets had more of!

Given some of the international political undertones the series represented at the time...this would have been a very interesting set of events if that occurred!

I also found quite fascinating what Henderson told me about the actual jersey. The Team Canada jerseys were all 100% cotton and they simply did not allow for heat to escape and Paul said he was actually too hot wearing the jersey.  So he actually cut off some of the sleeve on both arms to allow for comfort!

It was a fun few minutes and I have now met another of my many childhood heroes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

DJ Joe D Headline Animator

Ping service