Monday, November 29, 2010

Hey, what's going on with my TV????

I noticed a couple of changes on my TV over the last week or so courtesy of Rogers Cable!

Starting last week, they introduced something called AutoHD. 

Essentially, if I tune in the actual station on what was the "analogue" or "SD"  band of channels previously (1-72) on my HD TV/HD Set Top box combo, I am automatically given the HD version of the station rather than having to find it somewhere in the 500's, the ranges of channels reserved for HD stations on Rogers. 

So tuning into Channel 7 will now bring me HD City-tv.  I don't think this works with the specialty channels though (e.g. tuning in Channel 26 still gets me the SD version of TSN...the only HD version is still found on channel 506)

In conjunction with that change, I also noticed they started using a different Interactive Program Guide (IPG) when you go into the Guide, Info or Record options of the HD Set Top Box...they changed the font type used.

Also as of today (November 29), the station that was formerly know as STAR had become the Canadian version of E! Television.  Not even 2 years ago, a number of local stations across Canada were branded as E! Television but that experiment didn't work and they were changed back to local stations soon after under new local ownership (Global TV sold the stations).

You can catch the channel, in glorious old-fashioned SD only now, on Channel 63 on Rogers Cable TV in Toronto (and Channel 71 in Richmond Hill/Thornhill)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

DJ Joe D Headline Animator

Ping service